Tuesday 29 July 2008

How can I add a personalised wallpaper to KDE4?


I have been trying KDE4 for a few months. This is the new version of KDE, a Linux desktop that has a beautiful interface. But currently it's not as easy to customise as the old trusty KDE 3. For example, do you know how to use one of your own photos as a wallpaper? There are no right-click actions on dolphin, the file manager, and I didn't find any settings anywhere that would tell where to put your images for wallpapers.

If you right click on the desktop and select "Configure Desktop..." you are offered with a selection of wallpapers, and you can even download new ones. But what if you want to use your own photos?

Finally I found out. You can copy your photo to the hidden folder ~/.kde4/share/wallpapers. If you're using dolphin you will need to select "Show Hidden Files" in the "View" menu. Then, next time you right-click on the desktop and select "Configure Desktop..." you can select your new wallpaper.

Easy! But I didn't find any documentation on the webpages about this... how are we supposed to know?

... update ... I found an easier way to add your own wallpaper. In "Configure Desktop" there's a tiny icon next to the drop down selection of the picture. If you click on that icon a file selector will appear to find your own file... see the picture of this blog. I didn't see that one!

No comments: